As part of the ongoing review of access to digital resources, the Board is ready to move ahead with allowing access to YouTube as a resource to all staff and students. Activating access will be done in two stages to allow for monitoring and optimization as follows:
- The wired network access will occur on Monday, February 9, 2015.
- The wireless network access will occur on Friday, February 13, 2015.
In preparation for this, all staff are encouraged to raise the profile of our character development and digital citizenship programs. There is no substitute for active role modelling. Suggested activities would include:
- a review of the Responsible Use Procedure: http://www.wrdsb.ca/rup
- a review of the WRDSB YouTube guidelines which have been jointly prepared by Learning Services and IT Services staff available online at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1daqqSBDzlCfdT_5CI-CS8-9k8YEvi1VzVJrCuOmZvfg/edit?usp=sharing
- use of the THINK program poster and contest referenced in System Memo ES:057:2014-15, 30 Days of T.H.I.N.K. Link to the Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council website for the 30 Days of THINK campaign:http://www.preventingcrime.ca/30DaysofTHINK.htm
- copyright and creative commons: http://llc.wrdsb.ca/?s=copyright
- a review of privacy considerations related to personal information: http://llc.wrdsb.ca/?s=privacy
- Digital Citizenship resources from the Ministry’s Ontario Software Acquisition Program Advisory Committee (OSAPAC) at: https://osapac.ca/ccpalo/dc/
and emphasizing the positive use of communication, collaboration and social media tools.
As you may be aware, YouTube now includes video editing functions. Courses for staff will be developed in this area and offered via PD Place. Additional WRDSB Google Apps resources are available at: