Looking for science games that match up with the curriculum? Try http://Wonderville.org – over 220 interactive games, videos and activities
This Activity Book includes 23 exciting experiments & activities & accommodates different age groups and skill levels: http://Science.gc.ca
Check out http://Science.gc.ca ‘s free lesson plans http://www.science.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=9E1144B3-1 …
All Education Week programs run from 10:00am until 2:00pm, with arrival between 9:20am and 9:50am.
S.T.E.M: Destination Imagination
November 7 to 10, 2016
$12 per student
Celebrate the official launch of our brand new MakerSpace, The Underground Studio, by participating in a day of interactive activities meant to level up your class on S.T.E.M! Make, tinker, build, and connect with professionals from Waterloo Region’s tech sector to showcase the potential of pursuing S.T.E.M-based careers! It all starts here.
Curriculum connections: Grade 6 Science and Technology
February 21 to 24, 2017
$12 per student
Uncover over 3,000 years of history, culture and mystery from one of the world’s greatest civilizations. Reveal the secrets of the ancient Egyptian language as a prominent scribe. Get wrapped up in the world of ancient embalmers and learn what it takes to mummify a body. Explore the tools and methods used by ancient Egyptian artisans to create the structures that Egypt is so famous for, and then put your building skills to the test in a structure building competition – all led by in-character facilitators!
Curriculum connections: Grade 4 Social Sciences, Language Arts, and Science and Technology
March 27-31, 2017
$12 per student
Stories unite us. They come from the traditions of the wampum weavers of the Six Nations and of oral storytellers sharing tales of Turtle Island. But they are also being explored by emerging Aboriginal artists. This program bridges the gap between traditional and contemporary Aboriginal storytellers by exposing students to mediums explored by members from several First Nations. Students will participate and contribute to all of these methods of storytelling.
Curriculum connections: Grades 1-6 Social Studies: Heritage and Identity
April 24-28, 2017
$12 per student
Students will be immersed in hands-on medieval activities: try on medieval-style clothing and armour, create a decorative illuminated manuscript, concoct medieval medicines and remedies, witness a falconry demonstration and of course, master the art of medieval combat – all led by in-character facilitators!
Curriculum connections: Grade 4 Social Students: Heritage and Identity: Early Societies, 3000BCE-1500CE
Science is a powerful way of investigating the mysteries of our universe, and an exciting process of building models to describe our world – models that change as new discoveries are made. Perimeter’s Outreach team is passionate about supporting science teachers so that, together, we can raise scientific literacy. Perimeter Outreach offers classroom kits developed by PI researchers and experienced teachers; professional development opportunities; a national teacher network; online multimedia and in-person resources for students and teachers; and contests that provide opportunities for students to extend their knowledge of physics.
Perimeter Institute is fulfilling the needs of teachers with a combination of special programs and resources created specifically for them. These programs and resources combine cutting-edge research with pedagogical techniques, and provide an opportunity for teachers to interact with top scientists from Perimeter.
This series of in-class educational resources is designed to help teachers explain a range of important physics topics. These resources are the product of extensive collaboration between international researchers, Perimeter Institute’s Outreach staff, and experienced teachers. Each kit has been designed with both the expert and novice teacher in mind and has been thoroughly tested in classrooms.
| more |
Perimeter Institute has created multimedia resources that are available to be used online. Videos, animation, video games, and powerpoints are used to convey and learn about the power of physics.
| more |
PROGRAMS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Perimeter Institute provides unique learning opportunites, workshops, and programs for teachers.
| more |
2016-17 Workshop Catalogue
Backyard Bugs – Buzz about Bees – I Can Be a Scientist – Magnet Magic for Little Explorers – Sensational Science – Simply Marvellous Machines – There’s No Place like Home! – Water Fun for Kindergarten Scientists – Winter Wonders! – Young Friends of the Earth
EARTH AND SPACE SYSTEMS
- Primary: Animal Coverings And Adaptations* – Let It Flow: Air And Water – Soil: It’s Too Important To Be Treated Like Dirt!
- Junior: Celestial Sleuths – Conserve your Energy – Don’t take Rocks for Granite – Energy: The Power to Change
- Intermediate: Groundwater Investigations – Hot Stuff!
- Primary: Food Chains* – Keep Track: Animal Autographs* – Never say Ugh to a Bug* – Ocean Habitats and Adaptations – Plants Do Amazing Things
- Junior: Battles in the Tropical Rainforest* – Body Works – Classy Critters – Habitats and Communities
- Intermediate: Cell Explorers: Investigating Cell Structure and Function
- Primary: Math: It Counts*
- Junior: Fractions In Action* – Math Builders: Math From The Ground Up*
- Intermediate: Math Is My Business*
MATTER AND ENERGY
- Primary: Energy Makes It Happen – Force, Of Course! – Looking at Liquids
- Junior: Electricity: Get Charged – Light Up Your Life – Sound is Music to my Ears – What in the World is Matter?
- Intermediate: Close Encounters of a Chemical Kind – Fluid Power
- Primary: Kitchen Chemistry for Curious Kids* – Microscopy: More than Meets the Eye* – Sense and Sense-Abilities – Toys and Technology: Fun with Physics*
- Junior: Adventures in the Bone Zone* – Brainstorm: Journey to the Centre of the Mind* – Clued into Forensic Science* – Charge Up Your Energy*
- Intermediate: And the Band Played On* – Gene: How Do You Pass It On* – Global Climate Change*
STRUCTURES AND MECHANISMS
- Primary: Get Moving with Toys! – Move It! – Structures: Stable and Strong – Structures: Under Construction
- Junior: Air and Flight – Gearing Up: Fun with Pulleys and Gears – May the Force be with You
- Intermediate: Engineering Challenges – Systems at Work
ONTARIO : PROGRAMME EN FRANÇAIS – Offert seulement à Ottawa
Maternelle et jardin : Je peux être un scientifique – À la découverte des machines simples!
- 1re : Avec l’énergie, c’est possible! – Les animaux : ruses et environnement* – Structures: en chantier!
- 2e année : Air et eau : à la source de la vie – Ça bouge! – Jetons un coup d’oeil aux liquides – Les animaux : ruses et environnement*
- 3e année : Aventures dans le monde des os* – Le sol : un trésor sous nos pieds – Structures : stables et solides – Tours de force!
- 4e année : Aventures dans le monde des os* – Engrenages et poulies : du plaisir garanti! – Illuminez votre vie – Roches et fossiles : faites d’une pierre deux coups!
- 5e année : Aventures dans le monde des os* – Le corps humain – Que la force soit avec toi! – Qu’est-ce que la matière?
- 6e année : Aventures dans le monde des os* – Des bestioles avec de la classe – L’air et le vol – L’électricité : un sujet électrisant! – La conquête de l’espace
Bring your kids to the University of Waterloo on October 29th for a day of free, hands-on science fun at Science Open House! More info at uwaterloo.ca/science/events
- For teachers of all grades: WRM 2016-17 Education Programs.pdf
- For Grade 10 History teachers: Great War Education Day.pdf
- For Grade 5-8 teachers: WRM Forest Festival.pdf
2016/2017 Education Programs:
Mini Museum Goers – Pre-school Program
Early Learning/Kindergarten Children are introduced to the gallery museum and community outings through fun activities on a variety of themes. Choose from program themes such as; Collecting, People in our Community, or Jobs and Working. Available January to April only. 1.5 hours, maximum 40 children.